Woodmont Park

The Legacy of the Temple Terrace Garden Club

Woodmont Park is kept beautiful through the volunteer efforts of the Temple Terrace Garden Club, the oldest club in Temple Terrace.

The Temple Terrace Garden Club is the oldest club in Temple Terrace, dating back to 1946. Temple Terrace was a small community with no activities in the area, but this organization brought the residents of this city together, collectively. On May 25th, 1946 the first meeting was held at the home of Mrs. Earle McCartney. According to the records, about 35 women attended the gathering. Mr. Simon, the president of the Civic Association at the time, decided that a garden club had become a necessity; hence, Mrs. McCartney was asked to take the appropriate steps to form a garden club. From the very beginning, the Garden Club was concerned about how to beautify areas and related activities such as flower shows, annual Easter dances, other social & civic events such as the yearly planting a tree on Arbor Day and educating people on how to raise plants & arrange them. The Club continues to be concerned with horticulture, flower arrangements, conservation of natural resources such as soils, wetlands, forest, water, and wildlife.

The Woodmont Park is roughly 1.86 acres, located across from the Temple Terrace golf and country club; next to the Woodmont Clubhouse. The Temple Terrace Garden Club helps keep the park beautified by donating benches, helping with the upkeep of the landscape of the park such as planting Dogwood trees. The city does the mowing but weeding, trimming, planting, fertilizing, and mulching is paid for and done by Temple Terrace Garden Club members. The park filled with beautiful old oak trees under which a gazebo is situated, along with a cascading fountain and an array of Florida friendly plants. More recently, a butterfly garden has been added the southwest corner of the park, and there is a memorial garden in the southeast corner. The park has a gazebo, a series of walkways, and a modern facility that provides a beautiful setting for any business or social event.

Images

Beautiful shaded areas available Woodmont Park. | Creator: Brianna Eldridge View File Details Page

Peace and Tranquility is an essential element of Woodmont Park. | Creator: Brianna Eldridge View File Details Page

Park benches were donated by the Temple Terrace Garden Club, within full view of the beautiful gazebo. | Creator: Brianna Eldridge View File Details Page

Multiple walkways throughout Woodmont Park. | Creator: Brianna Eldridge View File Details Page

The Woodmont Park sign, surrounded by a beautiful array of flowers all planted and maintained by the Temple Terrace Garden Club. | Creator: Brianna Eldridge View File Details Page

An honorary plaque as a tribute to veterans and all those who made the ultimate sacrifice. | Creator: Brianna Eldridge View File Details Page

From the street view of the gazebo. | Creator: Brianna Eldridge View File Details Page

A full view of Woodmont Park | Creator: Brianna Eldridge View File Details Page

The flowers, cutting of the lawn, and trees are all well cared for by the Temple Terrace Garden Club. | Creator: Brianna Eldridge View File Details Page

Street Address:

407 Woodmont Ave, Temple Terrace, FL 33617 [map]

Official Website:

http://www.woodmontclubhouse.com/

Cite this Page:

Brianna Eldridge, “Woodmont Park,” Tampa Historical, accessed February 19, 2019, http://tampahistorical.org/items/show/33.

Share this Story